Sunday, November 4, 2007

Implications Post

As I continually research the controversies and issues behind the advancement in stem cell experimentation, I can't help but predict what the future holds. It seems to me that the issue regarding religion vs. science will never be resolved. Clearly, I have mentioned in my theory post that religion will hold back the advance of study in stem cell research. Several people will still oppose stem cell research because they will see such experimentation as "Playing God." Also, people will still oppose embryonic stem cell research because they define embryos as human beings. Cloning will always be looked at as something immoral and unnatural.
Even though I see a good amount of opposition in the future, I predict that stem cell research will still advance. Upon researching and discovering all the benefits that can be derived from stem cell research, such as cures to various diseases, I feel like these benefits cannot be forever ignored. There will come a point when trends in opposition will begin to change. Education has become more important over the past decades and as the importance increases, knowledge of what stem cell research holds increases. People will become more open minded from the increase of importance in education. So, instead of people judging scientific experimentation from other people, they will become more independent as they make their own theories and opinions based on what they have learned.
Since the importance of education will increase and there will be an advancement in stem cell research, I predict that cures will be made. I can say this confidently because technology increases, and with intelligent scientists, new discoveries will be made. Even if cures aren't discovered as soon as scientists predict, scientist will have a better knowledge of the cellular behavior of diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and cancer. This could possibly serve as a template to discovering cures.
I end this post by saying that I don't write based on my opinion nor what I want out of stem cell research. I'm giving a critical analysis of why stem cell research will advance. I truly believe that the increase in the importance in education and technology will drive stem cell research to success.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter what kinds of advances are made by scientists, stem cell research, I believe, is not going to increase in the near future. It will take many years until it becomes a realistic and beneficial part of society and medicine. This will not happen at least until the current generation becomes doctors and politicians.

Adrian Lopez said...

This response is for anonymous:

Well, you certainly feel that stem cell research won't advance for a good amount of time because our politicians and doctors are holding us back. I sort of understand where you're coming from. It takes a while for people to change their minds and realize that what they feel about stem cell research is actually slightly off.
I see stem cell research advancing sooner than you think. I believe that the increase in the importance of education and technology will positively have a synergism effect on the advancement of stem cell research. I see many accomplishments being made from stem cell research within the next 40 to 50 years. Hopefully, I'm right. It would be very awesome to see many diseases being cured in a short amount of time.

Anonymous said...

people who are against embryos as human beings clearly do not know the definition of life, because to be considered living, the thing in question must be able to live on it's own and embryos cannot do that. i too believe stem cell research will continue to advance because of the theory of "the greater good". people will finally begin to see that the benefits of stem cell research clearly out way any of the negative aspects. i for one am sick of people using the bible as a reason for why stem cell research is wrong because those people simply believe what the bible says because the bible states everything in the bible is true (that's just horrible logic, you would not do that with anything else). i agree that religion will continue to hold back many advances of science but as history has showed us, faith will continue to lose it's role in everyday society and become less of a thing that controls people's decisions.

Adrian Lopez said...

This response is for Phil:

Well, I certainly agree with your opinion about an embryo not being living, but that's just it; you're making an opinion. People will still have different opinions about whether or whether not embryos are living things. Unless embryos start saying, "I'm living", everything will just be an interpretation from minute scientific evidence regarding embryonic studies.
You pretty much share the same view as I do when it comes to stem cell research advancing. You seem to have more of a radical opinion on how people see the bible. I for one am Christian, and I do make decisions on what I believe, and I approve stem cell research. However, I still see the Bible as being right because it's one of my cultural predispositions.
I like your last sentence. I do believe that faith will become less of a factor because stem cell research benefits outweigh the negative aspects.
I appreciate your input.